An innovative approach to the recovery realm, art therapy entails the use of art as a route towards individual therapeutic goals. Encouraging the clients to become immersed in their creation, a different approach to communication is met, exploring their thoughts, concerns, and feelings at the deepest point.
Art therapy is also incredibly effective at bringing concerns to the surface, fostering a new approach to emotional expression for various mental health diagnoses and life events, namely trauma, eating disorders, anger management, chronic illness, grief, and life transitions. By allowing feelings that may be difficult to verbalize to become externalized, art therapy acts as a safe, fun, and undaunting way to express emotions, promoting healing and enhancing recovery.
Art Therapy has been used in mental health setting for a long time and has proven to be effective for many mental health issues especially trauma, eating disorder, anger management, chronic illness, grief and loss and life transitions. Art provides the client with a safe and fun outlet to externalize the trauma and/or issues onto the art while providing relief and help in recovery.
- Relieves stress and anxiety
- Supports self-care, balance and well-being
- Boosts self-esteem and confidence
- Promotes self-awareness
- Process difficult emotions
- Encourages the development of healthy and effective coping skills
- Explore traumatic experiences in a safe manner
- Assists in improving focus and memory
- Develops problem-solving skills and interpersonal/social skills